Snoring is often thought of as a humorous, almost harmless quirk people have while sleeping. However, snoring is no joke. In fact, it may be the result of a medical condition called Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) which can cause an increased risk for severe health problems such as obesity, diabetes, heart attacks, stroke, hypertension, and other cardiovascular issues.
In a recent study conducted by the University of Wisconsin, results indicate that people with untreated OSA have triple the mortality rate of those who receive proper treatment. This is why it is important to see a specialist, like our highly-qualified professionals at Beverly Hills Dental Health and Wellness, who can prescribe the best snoring solutions, such as a customized mouthguard.
Obstructive sleep apnea explained
The snoring you experience during obstructive sleep apnea is the result of a complex series of changes in your body that impacts your long-term wellness, cardiovascular health, and much more.
- You breathe in and out a few normal breaths before relaxing into sleep.
- The tissues in the back of your throat and your tongue start to collapse.
- The flow of air is constricted, which causes the tissues to start vibrating. This is what causes snoring.
- Your breathing becomes more and more shallow until it stops entirely for a couple of seconds or even minutes!
- Meanwhile, oxygen levels in your body drop dangerously low, putting a great amount of strain on your lungs and heart.
- Your brain will sense danger and send out a flood of adrenaline.
- You may stir, choke or snort into a wakeful or semi-wakeful state.
- This process repeats itself several times per hour of sleep.
How our revolutionary mouthguard for snoring can help
Obstructive sleep apnea is typically treated with a CPAP machine that involves a face mask worn by the patient overnight. Unfortunately, many patients find it difficult to use the CPAP machine because it’s very sleep-invasive. This is why many sleep apnea specialists are now taking a different approach.
We treat sleep apnea with an oral appliance custom-fitted to be as comfortable as possible. The device is around the same size as a retainer and fits snugly over your teeth, pushing your tongue down and keeping your jaw slightly open and forward. This way, your airways remain clear as you sleep. This mouthguard for snoring is a simple device that’s easy to use and keep clean. It even comes with a small carry case for travel that fits right in your pocket, briefcase, or handbag.
Breathe easier, live longer
Don’t allow yourself or your partner to suffer another restless night because of obstructive sleep apnea. Contact Beverly Hills Dental Health and Wellness at (310) 692-7855 to schedule your appointment for effective sleep apnea treatment today.